kf1.org/forum Forum Index kf1.org/forum
Ken's Personal Devotional Christian Blog
And Video Bible Readings
For the Truth of all things in Jesus the Christ
aka TruthInJesus.net

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a Powered Parachute? - How I got into the sport. -- All Powered Parachute stuff.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

bottom of page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    kf1.org/forum Forum Index -> All things Powered Parachute - Especially training, safety, and experience - closed and archived 5/7/11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
___

Post reference link - PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: What is a Powered Parachute? - How I got into the sport. -- All Powered Parachute stuff.
Please share relevant content:       Bookmark and
 Share    Email        Thank you for your interest & support.

Subject: What do the ultralight aircraft Powered Parachutes have to do with the Salvation of God. Not much. Except I really like my Powered Parachute, and I am moved by our loving Lord Jesus to accept PPCs inclusion into the greater project mission. Jesus is coming, with the clouds of heaven, and every eye will see Him. Amen.

Hello Friends:

This whole forum category is devoted to informing about the sport of Powered Parachute flying.

What do the ultralight aircraft Powered Parachutes have to do with the Salvation of God. Not much. Except I really like my Powered Parachute, and I am moved by our loving Lord Jesus to accept PPCs inclusion into the greater project mission. Jesus is coming, with the clouds of heaven, and every eye will see Him.

Let me start by showing some pictures, explaining what a Powered Parachute is, and telling how I got into the sport. It is often said, "a picture is worth a thousand words." So here are three pictures of me and my PPC. (Powered ParaChute)

Here is a picture of me standing next to my single seat PPC on the county airfield after a good summer day of flying.

Next is a picture of my flying my PPC up in the sky. This picture was actually taken my a newspaper reporter and subsequently appeared on the front page. After that came a local airshow with high winds. And folks, that was another story in my experience of learning to fly.

And here is another picture of me landing my PPC on a well maintained county grass strip north of my Arkansas home, across the border in Missouri.

What is a Powered Parachute really? It is an ultralight aircraft with a open cockpit airframe mated to a Parawing airfoil, (a type of Parachute). The parawing is a parachute like the square ones used by sky-divers yet much bigger. A PPC flys with a pendulum effect making it very resistant to stalls. This stall resistance, combined with PPC's slow speeds make it a very safe type of aircraft.

Powered by light, powerful and reliable engines, Powered Parachuting, in my opinion, is the safest, funniest, coolest, neatest, most awesome form of recreational flying devised by man.

Flying a "Chute" is as close to being on a "Magic Carpet" as it gets. Very safe! Add throttle, the aircraft rises from the ground. Reduce throttle, it floats to the ground. My parachute is open before leaving the ground. With the foot operated steering lines one steers right or left.

About the time the website was ready for its first good upgrade I was introduced to this sport of Powered Parachuting. I enthusiastically fell in love with it. I love flying my chute. But now that my machine is on "injured reserve," after the crash, it needs to be rebuilt before I can go flying again.

Powered Parachutes are just plain cool. If you ever get a chance to take an introductory lesson in one, or see one do maneuvers up close, do it. You will be amazed.

It only takes 3 to 6 hours to learn the basic basics. I will tell you that is not enough time to be truly safe in all conditions. Yet 3 to 6 hours is enough for a reasonably intelligent person to learn to solo one of these wonderful machines. Powered Parachutes are "Flying Machines." One needs to be willing to continually learn new things about flying. Please, if you like these machines and want to learn to fly them, please, get enough instruction, from a qualified and good instructor when you do. Every person has a different learning curve. Get enough instruction and listen to your instructor. It's what you don't know that can kill you.

Now there was a time, before I bought my PPC, when I had my roofing helpers, helping me with "The Book." Between roofing jobs some of the guys helped with formatting the book for printing and test marketing and such. Well after a few months of these kinds of efforts there was a day on the roof, when we were all on break, when I told them all, "I wish I could just climb up into the sky and yell down, pay attention, Jesus is coming, soon.

Well one of my roofing buddies mentioned knowing about an ultralight aircraft which was for sale. Maybe I could tow a banner or something the guys suggested. I thought that could be a good idea. At any rate, that investigation culminated in me finding my PPC and my direction was changed.
For many years before I had mental visions of myself and a flying motorcycle type thing. In fact, for many years, I thought motorcycles itself had a prominent place to play in the overall project mission and gospel roadshow. Now I know God can use all sorts of things to bring people to Jesus the Christ.

There came a day when I had access to borrow another person's video camera. The Lord moved me to try to film a video, with footage filmed while flying my PPC. I did not have any idea or plan for a story line. There was no storyboard or real plot other than to get some footage which might be considered "interesting." I've rarely done things half-way. So when I set out to get flying footage, thats what I went to try to do. As most readers and members of this forum and website should know, a video was produced and has been on YouTube for some time. Of course links to the vids can be found on the forum front page.

Being a naieve, meek and gentle sort of guy I did not realize the film would attract people who prefer to look down on exhuberant mistakes. You know, the people who prefer to look at the bad side of things instead of the more uplifting aspects. I don't mind being the butt of jokes but come on, some people like to throw all the water out of half full glasses.

Several people have chastised me for lack of instruction, not following safety principles, and not having the experience needed to fly Powered Parachutes safely. I would beg to differ with them, as I have taken great care to learn all I can about this sport. I have paid instructors to tell and show me stuff. I have well over 100 hours of flight time and have even had a Basic Flight Instructor endorsement, which was needed to fly tandem, before the new Sport Pilot rules became effective.

So . . . one of the reasons for this topic category is to provide a good place for other forum members to make comments or ask questions about Powered Parachutes.

So having said all that let me submit this post and see what our other flying members may have to add.

Like its title says, this topic category is for:
All things Powered Parachute - Especially training, safety, and experience

Jesus is coming.
. . . . . .
Doc Savage

Post reference link - PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: PPC

What a wonderful little spot you made for us pilots of PPC's, both young and old...I'd like to incorporate all my PPC comments into this if I could, but seems like a big task, and leave the rest of my testimony, as it was meant to be...I side tracked too many times, but now have a place to post those comments here...
N'Christ Jesus
Marc
___

Post reference link - PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: I expect . . .

Dear brother Marc: (((Doc)))

I expect that the stuff scattered around on the forum already, which you would like to move here, will probably be repeated here already.
I know you would have a lot to add to the safety issues, espeically the issues involved in the ground roll of a high center of gravity cart. I don't know if the wheel base and ground stance on the paraplane, compared to the true height cg, gives your ParaPlane a greater roll-over-risk than my sic.(SixChuter). -- Rolling Eyes -- right now my poor crumpled machine is pretty close to the ground. -- Embarassed Laughing

Anyway, Thanks for filling me in on the fly-in you and our other brother went to recently. If you had the time you could repeat a little bit of that fly-in here in this thread. Take your time. No rush. But if you could describe some of it, and would, i think it would be wonderful and a blessing to many. You can keep what anonymity you need if talking about anybody else. You judge that about where and when and who. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if you have this forum boards setting set to notify when a reply is made but I'll let you know when I post this.
My apologies for any slowness in getting back with you, but you know me, I don't fly the fastest forum on the web. --

I will say this, even the safest action can be dangerous if one doesn't have the facts. Even the gentlest of puppys can bite. Butterflys are pretty benign yet even then if you get a whole bunch of them together watch out. -- Cool

Maranatha
-- --
-- --
clans

Post reference link - PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PPC

[quote="Doc Savage"] What a wonderful little spot you made for us pilots of PPC's, both young and old... I'd like to incorporate all my PPC comments into this if I could, but seems like a big task, and leave the rest of my testimony, as it was meant to be... I side tracked too many times, but now have a place to post those comments here...
N'Christ Jesus
Marc [/quote]

Right --- this is a great spot for powered parachute comments, Marc. You have any idea where the ppc caravan is at right now and how we can track them, if at all? I believe they were headed to northern Wisconsin. and then coming back down on the Michigan side.

Thanks,
clans
___

Post reference link - PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject:

Clans wrote:
Right --- this is a great spot for powered parachute comments, Marc. You have any idea where the ppc caravan is at right now and how we can track them, if at all?

You guys mentioned that "Caravan" a couple times by email. I think Clans is talking about the "Caravan" ground crew and flying mission/project sponsored by Mark's Park airfield. I don't know much yet. I did do some internet research after Clans mentioned it. But I did not find anything expressing what the "Caravan" was.

Also Clans, I tried all evening to get the quote to work right in the post you made above. It is formatted right. I don't know why it isn't showing the quote box on your quote of Marc's. I'll try it in this post (quoting you) and see if it works in a new post.

Yet I am with you guys, I think this "Caravan" thing deserves further investigation. Is it just a private club doing cross country flights? or do they have more going on?

There is something called "Caravan of Hope" which is sponsored by several churches out of Springfield Missouri. It may be Assembly of God, or Baptist, or a consortium, I don't know. But this "Caravan of Hope" uses big truck (semi-tractor-trailer rigs) so set up local free food and haircut, and medical service workshops across the midwest.

Anyway, I'll submit this to the board and see if the quoting function works.
Maybe Marc can shed more light on the Mark's Park Caravan crew.

maranatha
Cool
PS -- I got no idea why the quote didn't work in the earlier post. It was formatted right Clans.
Doc Savage

Post reference link - PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: PPC Caravan

Hi Ken, here is the url explaining all about the Caravan I believe...
http://ppcpilot.com/CARAVANS/I/PPCCaravanInfo2.htm
It seems they only want people who can afford radios, for constant radio contact, and only sport license, or general aviation license to join up with them...The cost of an ICOM radio is way beyond what I can spend at one time, and I fly under FAR103 as you know, so that would leave me out...But this is all mentioned there...
N'Christ Jesus
Marc
clans

Post reference link - PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Marc,

What got you interested in ppc's? I don't recall you mentioning why you took up the sport? After all your experiences (nam etc.) you'd think you might want to find something a little more "down to earth"?

clans
Post new topic   Reply to topic    kf1.org/forum Forum Index -> All things Powered Parachute - Especially training, safety, and experience - closed and archived 5/7/11 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: